1. Is essential oil safe for every group of age?
Essential oils are natural, but that doesn’t mean they are safe for everyone. There are two things to consider: type of essential oil and dose. Not all essential oils are safe for all ages, especially for babies or young children. For example, we do not use eucalyptus, peppermint, and rosemary oils for children < 10 y.o because they contain a chemical constituent called cineol 1,8 and menthol. It could trigger a reflex in young children which slows breathing significantly.
For the same type of essential oil, every group of ages has different dose. For example, babies need dose of lavender oil 0.5%, kids 1%, and adult 2%. The dose is allso different based on the usage frequency, such as daily or weekly. That’s why Botanina developed different formulas based on type of oil, age of user, and frequency of use.
2. Can pregnant and nursing women use essential oils?
The topic of essential oil use during pregnancy is a bit of a controversial issue, mainly because there hasn’t been a lot of studies done on the topic. Essential oils have been used for over 25 years by midwives, doulas, nurses, and mothers-to-be and have shown no harm to the mother or baby. When used properly, essential oils are very safe for use during pregnancy and can help the expectant mother through all sorts of pregnancy symptoms.
Some of the basic rules while pregnant or nursing are:
- Essential oil use should be avoided in the first trimester, especially if you are in high risk for a miscarriage (for any reason)
- Less is more with pregnant and nursing mamas
- It is best to utilize essential oils for when you really need it like helping with acute issues such as nausea, indigestion, leg cramps/spasms, insomnia, cough/congestion, stress/anxiety, etc¶
- There are some essential oils which should be avoided during pregnancy, such as clary sage, basil, wintergreen, oregano, cinnamon, clove, rosemary, all of which can cause contraction. Oils should be avoided during breastfeeding are peppermint and jasmine, as they may decrease milk supply.
Therefore, Botanina created special pregnancy self-care for the first semester, which doesnít use any essential oil. For the second/third semester and nursing period, Botanina provides customized products according to certain needs, such as pain relief, face oil for acne, etc.
3. Can the Aromatherapy Spray be used by all ages?
We put minimum age at each label of our Aromatherapy Spray, for example Cold & Flu > 6 m.o (yellow). It means that if you have a baby girl who is 7 m.o, the product is generally safe for her. If she’s only 3 m.o, it is not advised that she uses it since her organs are not mature yet and therefore more sensitive. Is it effective if the adult also use the product? Yes, it is. You just have to spray in different amount for each time of use. Spray 1-2 spritzs for baby, 1-3 spritzs for toddler, 2-3 spritzes for kid, 3-5 for adult.
4. Can I consume essential oils internally?
Since essential oils are the equivalent of 10-50 cups of herbal tea (depending on the herb) or 20x the recommended dose of an herbal tincture of the same herb, we do not recommend that you take our essential oils internally. It is a controversial point, but many essential oils are not safe for internal use and others should be used with extreme caution.
5. Does Botanina make customized product? What is the cost and how much time does it take?
Yes, we provide customized product, such as pain relief for pregnant women, massage oil for nursing women, etc. The good news is you don’t have to pay additional cost compared to its standard product price. The time needed may vary depends on production load; usually it takes 3-6 days.Ã